Frequently Asked Questions

Consumers of telecom services - who are not satisfied with services rendered to them by their service providers, have the right to redress by lodging formal complaints.

Below are the procedures for lodging complaints. These procedures have been outlined in the form of frequently asked questions and answers.


Ques: What is the first thing I should do when I’m not satisfied with the services of my telecom service provider?

Ans: You should first contact the service provider whose services or products you are not happy or satisfied with.
Service Providers are mandated to have Complaints Forms which must be available to subscribers.
In a situation where the issue is not satisfactorily resolved by the service provider, you may call the Consumer & Corporate Affairs Division of the NCA to lodge your complaint.


Ques: What are the procedures involved in lodging a complaint with the NCA?

Ans: A dissatisfied consumer can lodge a complaint by:

  1. Completing a Consumer Complaint Form (CCF) which can be obtained from the NCA Website: or from any of the NCA offices listed below. The CCF must be completed and sent to the Consumer & Corporate Affairs Division of the NCA. 
  2. Writing a letter to the NCA. This letter can either be handwritten or typed but must be legible, concise, not more than two (2) A4 pages and signed.
  3. Calling the NCA Complaint and Enquiry Unit on (+233)0307-011419 to lodge your complaint.
  4. Walking into any of the NCA offices to lodge your complaints.
  5. You can file complaint through the web site at
  6. Your complaint can also be sent to us through emailing

The filled CCFs and complaint letters must be forwarded to any of the NCA offices listed below:

Head Office:
Communications Tower
No. 6 Airport City
Kotoka International Airport
Business/Postal Address
P.O. Box CT 1568
Cantonments, Accra

Telephone Number(s)
+233 (0)302-776621
+233 (0) 302-771701
+233 (0) 302-762823

Fax Number
+233 - (0)302 – 763449
Web Address
Email Address,

Bolgatanga Office:
H/No ZB 70, Zorbisi Estates
Bolgatanga, Upper East Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3820- 21141

Ho Office:
H/No A6/29, Stadium Road
P. O. Box HP1576, Ho, Volta Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3620-26339

Koforidua Office:
Residency Road
Behind New Juabeng Municipal Library
Private Mail Bag, Koforidua, Eastern Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3420- 28378/28380/28382

Kumasi Office:
Danyame, Kumasi
P. O. Box KS 10768, Kumasi, Ashanti Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3220- 20014/20018/20019

Sunyani Office:
Plot No. 83/D Peakwase
P. O. Box SY 125, Sunyani, Brong Ahafo Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3520- 27564

Takoradi Office:
Chapel Hill
P. O. Box SL 409, Sekondi, Western Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3120-28073/28049
Fax: +233 (0) 3120 28063

Tamale Office:
Watherson Residential Area
P. O. Box TL 1590, Tamale, Northern Region
Tel: +233 (0) 3720- 28102/28104/28105

Ques: What information must be provided in my formal complaint?

Ans: You must state your name, address, phone number(s), fax, e-mail, name of Service Provider and the type of complaint. You must give a brief explanation of the circumstance that led to your complaint, stating the time and date you lodged your first complaint with the Service Provider. Copies of any relevant supporting documents such as service agreement, bills, contracts, promotional leaflets etc which would assist in our investigations should be provided.


Ques: What happens when a consumer's complaint is received by NCA?

Ans: The NCA analyses the complaint and starts investigations immediately. Where the Authority is satisfied that the service provider has breached the terms of its contract with the consumer, or contravened the provisions of the Electronic Communications Act, the Authority will file a formal complaint with the Service Provider and give feedback to the Consumer.


Ques: Will the NCA get back to the consumer on the outcome of the complaint?

Ans: Yes, where investigations are concluded in less than 48 hours, the dissatisfied consumer will be reached by phone or e-mail otherwise he/she will be communicated to in writing, on the outcome of the review.


Ques: Do I have to pay for this service?

Ans: NO! All services rendered by the Complaints Unit of the NCA are FREE OF CHARGE.


Ques: Can an aggrieved consumer sue the service provider in a law court over a breach of contract?

Ans: Yes, However, in line with the provision of the Electronic Communications Act 2008 Act 775 84 (1), a dissatisfied consumer should first seek redress with the Service Provider and if unresolved report to the NCA. A court action may be considered a last option.

1. What are Short Codes?
Short Codes are Numbers that are shorter than ITUT-T E.164 format and may be used for short message services (SMS) which are used for providing Value Added Services (VAS). They are usually between three to six digits.


2. What are Short Codes used for?
They are part of the Special Numbering Resources like Premium Rate Numbers, Toll Free Numbers, and Shared Cost Numbers which are used for carrying voice and data.
These services include premium rate communication services offered by Licensed Content Service Providers (CSPs), where the cost is often above the basic SMS tariff rate.


3. Can Short Codes be used for all Voice, SMS and Data Services?
NO, the use of Short Codes is limited to data and SMS only except otherwise permitted or specified by the Authority.


4. Why is the NCA embarking on the Short Code Harmonisation Project?
The aim of the Short Code Harmonization Project is:
• To ensure that numbering resources are efficiently and continuously managed.
• To also create equal access, transparency, fair competition within the telecommunication industry.
• To enhance consumer protection.
• To reduce the complaints of Unsolicited Electronic Communications
• To help the Consumer and the Authority trace and track the source of all Electronic Communications.
• To help the general public in accessing the Social Service Institutions like the Police, Fire Service and Ambulance Service with ease.


5. How does the Short Code Harmonisation (SCH) work?
The Short Code Harmonisation directs that any Content Service Provider or any Telecommunication Network Service Provider who wishes to use any Short Code for any Value Added Service will have to contact the NCA only for the specific Short Code.
Again, certain Value Added Services from the Mobile Network Operators using Short codes like Credit Recharge, Call Centre etc. will have the same Short Code for all consumers in Ghana irrespective of the mobile network you use


6. Will the Short Codes being used by State Agencies like the Police and Fire Service also be harmonised?
YES, The Authority may assign the use of Short Codes to Government and other State Agencies for the provision of Safety and Public Emergency Services such as Police, Fire, Ambulance, Disaster Responses, Rescue Services, and Mitigation against Disease Outbreaks, Anti-Terrorism, Corruption Activities, Conflict Mitigation, Peace Building, Information Gathering, and Specified Public Helpline etc.
Such assigned Short Codes will be common to all Network Operators and the corresponding services will be provided and accessed free of charge by end users (consumers) irrespective of the network you are using.


7. How can the Short Code Harmonisation Benefit the Consumer?
The Short Code Harmonisation will go a long way to reduce consumers’ complaints of Unsolicited Electronic Communications the Authority receives daily from consumers whiles ensuring sanity and orderliness in the Mobile Telecommunication industry.
It will also help Consumers and the Authority to trace and track the source of all Electronic Communications or messages received to effectively safeguard or protect the rights of consumers whiles promoting transparency and fair competition in the industry.

1. What is the law requiring SIM card registration?
The enabling law is The Subscriber Identification 2010 which provides for registration of existing SIM cards


2. What is SIM card Registration?
The ACRONYM "SIM" means Subscriber Identity Module. SIM card registration is the process of recording and verifying mobile phone number(s) and personal information of a subscriber, by a communications service provider. Such information includes the subscriber’s photograph, name, and date of birth, gender, address (postal and/or physical address), email address, if available, and details of valid identification documents of the subscriber. The process involves getting both new and existing phone subscribers to consensually provide their identification details to the network operators.


3. Why must we register our numbers?
SIM card registration is intended to:

  • Help law enforcement agencies to identify the mobile phone SIM card owners;
  •  Track criminals who use phones for illegal activities;
  • Curb other negative incidents such as; loss of phone through theft, nuisance/hate text messages, fraud, threats and inciting violence, and;
  • Help service providers (network operators) know their customers better


4. What information and documentation do I need to register?
You will need EITHER of the following in original form:

  • Valid Passport
  • Voter’s card
  • Valid Driver’s licence


5. Will my information be kept safe?
All information will be kept confidential by all MNO’s in a secure data base. The information collected shall NOT be disclosed to any person unless as required by any written law


6. Which Mobile phone numbers must be registered?
All prepaid and postpaid phone numbers and data SIM cards must be registered.


7. Can I register multiple cards?
Yes. If you own multiple cards, you can register all of them.


8. Where do I go to register?
Registration will take place at your service provider outlets countrywide


9. How much will it cost me to register?
SIM card registration is absolutely free of charge.


10. What will happen if I have not registered by the set deadline?
Your SIM card shall be deactivated and you will not be able to make or receive calls


11. How will I be sure that my number is registered?
Your service provider will a send text message confirming completion of registration.


12. Can someone register for me?
In case you cannot do the registration, someone else can register the SIM card in his/her name but the person will be responsible for your number.


13. Do I have to register my mobile fixed line too?
Yes, you have to register the mobile fixed line.


14. If I use a modem for my internet. Does it also need to be registered?
Yes. It has to be registered.

Is Your Electronic Equipment Safe?
The NCA has introduced a new regime to help certify and ensure the testing of all communications equipment and devices for compliance with international standards, environmental health and safety standards including electromagnetic radiation and emissions.

The new Type Approval Regime was introduced to help ascertain the authenticity of all Electronic Communications devices including mobile devices that enter the Ghanaian market.
The targeted devices include all Mobile Phones, Tablets, Radio Communication Equipment and all other devices that use Radio Frequency in their operation.
Under this regime, all certified devices will have a unique identification number which will confirm the originality or otherwise of the device or equipment.


1. What is Equipment Type Approval?
Equipment Type approval is a demonstration by a manufacturer of an electronic communications equipment that minimum regulatory requirements (Radio, EMC, Health, Safety, and Environment) relating to a communications product has been fulfilled.


2. What is the purpose of Equipment Type Approval?
The main goal of performing equipment type approval is to ensure that:
i. Electronic communications equipment on the Ghanaian market is safe to use and environmentally friendly.
ii. Electronic communications equipment on the Ghanaian market operate as required and do not cause undue interference with other RF emitting devices
iii. EMF exposure from electronic communications equipment is within the required national established limits.
iv. Electronic communications equipment is compatible with the public telecommunications network
v. Network quality of service delivery to customers is ensured.


3. When does NCA issue certificates to manufactures?
The NCA issues a Type Approval certificate to a manufacturer or its Authorised agent based on satisfactory review of RF, EMC, Health and safety requirements that are contained in test reports and other supporting documents demonstrating compliance with the applicable standards.


4. Which Equipment Needs Type Approval?
All electronic communications equipment e.g. mobile phones, tablet, computers, etc.


5. What are the Benefits of Type Approval to the Consumer?
NCA approved equipment types would ensure that electronic communications equipment on the Ghanaian market do not pose danger to your health as a user and also do not harm the environment in which you live. NCA approved equipment types would also guarantee consumers value for money in terms of the type of equipment they buy as the type approval process also seeks to check counterfeit electronic communication equipment.


6. What are the disadvantages of counterfeit electronic communications?
Counterfeit electronic communications equipment normally does not last long and also lack warranty.


7. How to Know Which Equipment Have Been Type Approved
There are two ways to verify if a particular device has been type approved by NCA.

1. Visit the Authority’s website or NCA’s type approval portal for the updated list of type approved equipment.
A search for a type approved product on the portal can be done by using any of the following information:
a. Name of Manufacturer
b. Brand Name
c. Product Type and
d. Model Number
2. Check if the product may have a label as detailed below:

8. What is Type Approval Portal?
This is an online application portal for Type Approval Certification and Dealership Licensing. It is a database of NCA type approved ICT equipment and licensed dealers, to guide consumers to make informed choices. Accessing the portal is free.


9. How do I Access the Portal?
The portal can be access by using this link (


10. What Do I do If I Buy a Product That Is Not Type Approved?
Report to the Authority on the following numbers 0302-771701 or through our complaints webpage


11. How does Type Approval Affect Qos?
Type approval of electronic communications equipment is expected to reduce the number substandard products on the Ghanaian market. The use of substandard products has a negative impact on quality of service.


12. Any Advice?
If you are interested in buying any electronic communication equipment, please check on the Type Approval portal or NCA website before you buy. Make sure you buy from the right sources, if you don’t buy from a licensed dealer, then you do at your own risk.

1. What is Special Numbering Resources?
Special Numbering Resources (SNR) is part of the National Electronic Numbering resources which may be non-geographic and non-network dependent. It comprises of Short Codes, Premium Rate Numbers, Toll Free Numbers, and Shared Cost Numbers which are used for carrying voice and data.


2. What is the current practice for the administration of the SNR?
Licenced Telecommunication Operators use these SNRs especially the short codes without seeking approval from the Authority and also assign them either in bulk or single to other VAS Providers (VASP). VAS Providers in turn sell them out to other third parties. This has resulted in unequal access to the resources and less competition with a single code having multiple assignees on different networks as well as lack of protection for the consumers.


3. Who can allocate or assign the Special Numbering Resource?
Section 65 of the Electronic Communications Act, 2008 (Act 775) mandates the Authority to establish and manage the National Electronic Numbering Plan.
It is therefore the function of the National Communications Authority to administer the entire numbering resources on behalf of the country. No entity being it licensed or unlicensed shall issue, allocate or assign a numbering resource either to itself or a third party.


4. What benefits are associated with NCA allocating and assigning the SNR?

  • To ensure that numbering resources are efficiently and continuously managed. 
  • To also create equal access, transparency, fair competition 
  • To enhance acceptable level of consumer protection.
  • To reduce the complaints of Unsolicited Electronic Communications.
  • To help Consumers and the Authority effectively trace and track the source of all Electronic Communications.
  • To help the general public in accessing the Social Service Institutions like the Police, Fire Service, and Ambulance Service with ease.


5. Who are eligible to apply for the Special Numbering Resources?

  • All licenced telecommunications network operators.
  • Governmental and non-governmental agencies with interest in Special Numbering Resource. 
  • Network Facilities Providers/Aggregators.
  • Applications/Value Added Service Providers.
  • Private Telecommunications Networks. 
  • Entities with interest in acquiring Special Numbering Resource.


6. Can individuals or businesses not listed in the above apply for the Special Numbering Resources?
Yes, Individuals and businesses not listed above may obtain special numbering resources through an authorised Value Added Service Provider or an authorised telecommunication network operator.


7. Do you need to apply for authorisation if you already have Value Added Services license?
Yes, Authorization to own a Special Numbering Resource does not replace Value Added Services Licence. Obtaining a Value Added Services Licence does not automatically provide you the right to Special Numbering Resource.


8. Do you need to apply for authorisation if you already have license to operate a Telecommunications network?
Yes, Authorization to use a Special Numbering Resource is not the same as a licence to operate a telecommunication network.


9. What are the requirements for an entity who wishes to apply for SNRAn entity requesting for SNR must present the following:

  • A completed application form supplied by the Authority.
  • Business Proposal including Technical Proposal where applicable.
  • Directors and Shareholders of the company (where applicable).
  • Terms and conditions of the intended service. 
  • Any recognized valid National ID of the company representative.
  • Valid Contact Details.
  • Must be registered with the Registrar General’s Department before applying to the Authority.


10. Can institutions or individuals apply for SNR?
Even though applications are evaluated on case by case basis, an individual or institution must apply through registered value added service provider or MNO’s


11. Are Special Numbering Resources allocated for emergency purposes accessible by all networks and free to access?
Yes, Special Numbering Resource allocated for emergency services such as Police, Fire Services, ambulances, help lines and those for specific information services offered by government agencies shall be national in nature and common to all operators and also to be accessed free of charge by the public.


12. Can you use the resource for any other service provision either than what it was assigned for?
No, the assigned number should be are utilized in accordance to the agreed numbering plan and for the intended purposes, in order to ensure efficiency. The approval of the SNR is dependent on the intent to request and use of the number.


13. Is Special Resource Number assigning free of charge?

No, the assignee must pay two types of fees which are the application and regulatory fees. The application fee must be paid within eight business hours after the receipt of the application and the regulatory fee should be paid within 24 hours after application has been approved.


14. Can the assignee contact a service provider when numbers are assigned to them?
Yes, the assignee may contact any licenced telecommunication network operator, licenced Value Added Service provider, for their appropriate network needs.


15. Are the assigned numbers transferable?
No, Numbering resources assigned by the Authority are not transferable to another entity without the prior written approval of the Authority.


16. What format will the allocated numbers be dialed?
Communication Network operators shall ensure that the allocated numbers are dialed in the agreed format including the approved Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) protocol formats. Other than the standardized USSD formats by the Authority, Communication Network Operators and VAS Providers may develop SNR with USSD formats. Such formats shall be designed from the assigned special numbering.


17. Which Special Numbering Resources can be used for Voice, Data and SMS?

With the exception of the Short Code,all the others being Premium Rate Numbers, Shared Cost Numbers, and Toll free numbers may be used for voice, data and SMS applications.


18. What are NCA’s definitions for Premium Rate Numbers, Shared Cost Numbers, and Toll Free?
Shared Cost Numbers- these are numbers that are used in an intermediate level of telephone call billing, where the charge for calling a particular phone number is partially, but not entirely, paid for by the recipient or the caller.

Short Code – Numbers that are shorter than E.164 format and may not be regionally limited.
Premium Rate Numbers – these are numbers that are used to offer services that generally cost higher than the normal call rate and it is the caller that pays the bills. Part of the bill may be paid to the network provider and also the service provider.
Toll Free Numbers - also known as the Advanced Free Phone numbers (AFN) allows users to call an organization using a single unique toll free number without paying for the call charges.


19. When can the Authority withdraw an assigned resource?
The Authority may withdraw an assigned resource where the usage of such assignments contravenes any of the following:

  • Laws of Ghana.
  • The Act, Regulations, and/or Guidelines.
  • Any specific conditions relating to the assignment.
  • If the whole or part of the assignment is not brought into service within the stipulated time of issue.


20. What is the validity period for the SNR?
An SNR with a lease period of twelve (12) calendar months shall not lie dormant for more than three (3) months from date of issue and within the period of issue. An SNR with lease period of six (6) and nine (9) calendar months shall not lie dormant for more than two months from date of issue and within the period of issue.


21. When can the use of numbers be discontinued?

  • If an entity decides not to use an issued SNR anymore, the entity shall inform the Authority of the short code availability immediately.
  • Special Numbering Resources usage may be discontinued when there is a national and international numbering plan change that may affect the number resource.
  • When there is a national need for a Special Numbering Resources either assigned, in used or available to other assignees there shall be written notification of intent to withdraw the codes of which the Authority would not be required to give specifics involved.


22. What is the period of lease for the SNR?
Apart from short codes, the other SNRs may be allowed up to five year lease period.


23. What happens to an SNR that has expired?
An SNR that is expired must be re-applied. This shall attract the appropriate application and regulatory fees.


24. Can a short code be used for more than one purpose?
No. This is to avoid price ambiguity. SNR is factor for clarification of transactions by clearly defining the requirements and reducing the uncertainties that may have different practical values in a transaction.


25. When should the SLA and revenue sharing template amongst Service Providers be submitted?
The Network Operators and Value Added Providers/Aggregators shall submit copies of Service Level Agreements, revenue sharing and other related agreements to the Authority’s notice ten working days before launch of service.

1. What is Mobile Number Portability?

Mobile Number Portability is a system involving all Telecommunication Networks and a central service provider in Ghana which allows a subscriber to move from one network to the other whilst retaining the entire number he had on his former network.


2. What necessitated the introduction of Mobile Number Portability in Ghana?
The main reason of introducing MNP in Ghana is to boost the competitive landscape in the telecom industry by giving consumers the choice to freely switch networks without having to change their existing number.


3. What is 'porting'?
The process of moving the number to a different network is called “porting”; the original network is the “donor” of the number; the new network is the “recipient”.


4. What are the benefits of porting?

  • You will retain your number when moving from one operator to the other and thus enjoy freedom and convenience.
  • You will receive all your calls and messages regardless of which mobile network you may have ported your number to, without having to inform your friends, relatives, colleagues or clients about your change of mobile operator.
  • You will save money as you do not have to purchase SIM cards for each mobile operator or maintain more than one mobile hand set.
  • You can choose the mobile operator who you feel offers better quality of service and customer experience.


5. Who can port?

Any prepaid or postpaid mobile subscriber can port to any mobile operator


6. What you need to consider before making a porting request?

i. Your number with your current mobile operator should be active

ii. You will lose your credit balance in the porting process
iii. You need to back-up all contacts saved on your current mobile operator SIM card
iv. You will lose all services from your current operator including any incoming

SMSs or MMSs that have not been retrieved or delivered
i.Your porting request shall be declined if fraud has been reported on that number or that number is not active on the donor network.
ii. You should use up or retrieve any money in your money transfer account (for example Mobile money, ZAP) or seek a refund from your old operator after you have successfully ported your number.
iii. You should carefully read and understand the terms and conditions of all services provided by your current mobile operator.


7. How do I assess whether I should take advantage of Mobile Number Portability?

MNP is only relevant if you see a benefit in changing mobile service providers. Are you having bad service quality from your current service provider? Are the tariffs of your service provider extremely high compared to other competitors? Then you might consider porting your number to other networks that will give you value for your money. You need to consider if you are on a contract already, and what you might have to pay to your existing provider, if any.


8. Can I switch providers if I'm still on contract with my existing provider?

Yes, you can, but you will still have to pay any outstanding bill just as you would if you simply cancelled your service.


9. Can I keep my number and change providers if I'm on a pre-paid service?
Yes, you can, but your handset may be locked. Handsets sold as part of a pre-paid service are often 'network SIM-locked' to prevent customers using a SIM card with the handset other than the one issued for the pre-paid service. If you want to use the same handset you may need to arrange with your existing provider to have your handset unlocked.


10. Can I Port my Fixed number?

Mobile number portability applies to mobile numbers only


11. Where can I make my request to port?
You should make your request to port your number at a Retail Shop or Appointed Agent of the mobile operator you wish to join.


12. When can I make my request to port?
You can make a porting request from Monday to Sunday whenever Operators’ retail shops and sales agents are receiving customers for normal business.


13. Can I make a porting request on behalf of my organization?
Porting requests made on behalf of an organization shall be accompanied by a letter of authority on letterhead of the organization signed by an authorized signatory.


14. Will I lose money held on my money transfer account (for example Mobile money)
when I port my number to another network?
No. You should request your old operator to refund your money.


15. What is required to port my number?

i. Visit the retail shop of the mobile operator you intend to switch to with your original identification documents (e.g. National I.D. card, Passport, NHIS ID, Driving Licence or Voters I.D. card).
ii. Fill in the Number Portability Request Form and present your documents for verification.


16. How much does it cost to port my number?
Operators in Ghana have decided not to charge for porting.


17. Can I make my porting request online?


18. Will I be issued with a new SIM card?
Yes. Your new operator will issue you with a new SIM card after signing the Number Porting Request Form.


19. Do I need to register this new SIM card?
Yes. You are required to register your new SIM card in accordance with the NCA Registration requirements.


20. How will I start porting process?
i. Visit the retail shop/customer care of the mobile operator you intend to switch to.
ii. Fill in the Mobile Number Portability Form and present your ID.
iii. You will be issued with a new SIM card
iv. Before leaving the shop you will be assisted to send a free SMS to the number portability system from your current SIM card to start the porting process.
v. You will receive SMS updates on the porting process.
vi. Replace your current SIM card with the new SIM Card when notified
vii. Start enjoying the services of your new mobile operator


21. Can I port from a prepaid to a postpaid number and vice versa?


22. How long will it take to port to a new Operator?
Porting to your new operator may take a few minutes (but not longer than 24 hours from Monday to Sunday).


23. Can I use the SIM Card of my old network and that of my new network simultaneously when I port my number?
No, you will only use the SIM and recharge Cards of the network you have moved your number to.


24. How will I know that my porting request has been successful?
You will receive an SMS notifying you to change your SIM Card.


25. Will I need to send my old SIM to my old operator after my number has been ported?


26. What happens after porting my number?
You will retain your telephone number and begin to use services from your new mobile operator.


27. How will I know that the person I am calling has ported?
When you call a number that has been ported you will first hear an audible warning tone (beep) before you hear the ring tone.


28. Can I port my number more than once?
Yes, you can make another port request to any other operator only after a period of not less than 30 calendar days.
This subsequent port request will be subject to similar requirements as a new port including filling and submitting a Number Portability Request Form.


29. Can I select the date on which my ported request should be activated?
No. Make up your mind and initiate the porting process on any date you wish.


30. Can I cancel my port requested?
No. You cannot cancel your port request once the automated porting process has started.


31. Can I make calls or SMS during the porting process?
Yes, you are entitled to the services of your current mobile operator until your porting request has been successfully completed.


32. What happens if calls to my number do not go through after a successful port?
You should immediately contact your new mobile operator.


33. What happens if I lose my SIM card after I have ported my number?
You must immediately report the loss of your SIM card to new mobile operator.


34. . What should I do if my old mobile operator contacts me directly or indirectly after I make my porting request or after I have switched to my new mobile operator?
Any attempt to ‘win you back’ to your old or previous mobile operator during the porting process is a contravention of the MNP Regulations and should be immediately reported to the Authority. However it is not an offence for an operator to contact a subscriber after he/she has switched to a different network.


35. Where can I make a complaint?
You should first approach your new mobile operator if you have a complaint on the porting process or any other services.
If your complaint is not sufficiently addressed you may submit your complaint to Authority through the following contacts:
Web site:
Phone: 030 701 1419
Facebook: MNP Ghana (group page)
36. Where can I get more information?
You can get more information from your preferred/new mobile operator or the Authority.

1.What is an MVNO?

An MVNO is a company that provides mobile services such as mobile voice and data services to end-users without owning its own frequency spectrum.


2.Is MVNO the same as Mobile Network Operators(MNO)?
An MNO provides voice, network and data services just as the MVNO, the only difference is that, MNO’s have their own frequency spectrum licence from NCA which the MVNO do not have. Examples of MNOs are Vodafone, MTN, Tigo etc.


3.What are the benefits of MVNO to the mobile market?
• Greater choice of service providers and services
• Improvement in service quality
• Innovation due to competition
• Cheaper rates due to competition
• Stimulate private and foreign investment that act as a source of employment and economic growth


4.Can I port my number?
Yes, one can switch from one network to another while maintaining the number.


5.Is prepaid possible?
Yes, MVNOs support both prepaid and postpaid.


6. Does MVNO support roaming?
Yes, the MVNO just need to sign mutual recognition agreement (MRAs) with other operators both national and international roaming


7.Does MVNO supports international direct dialing (IDD) calls on MVNO
A. Yes, you can make IDD calls.


8.Has this been done before?
Yes, both in Africa and outside the continent. Five African countries have implemented this; these are Senegal, Cameroun, Kenya, Madagascar and South Africa.


9.Which MNO has the best coverage?

The “best coverage” depends upon the host MNO. You can start by checking out the coverage maps for each provider before you accept their offers. A list of MVNOs can be viewed on our website,, along with a description of their coverage and links to their coverage map.


10. Which MNO has the best prices?

The “best price” depends upon who you are, where you want to use the phone, what phone you want to use, and how many minutes you’ll use the phone for voice calls, how many text messages you intend to send, how many picture messages you intend to send, how many megabytes of data you intend to use, and the data speed you want.


11. So who handles consumer complaint, MVNO or host MNO?
MVNOs are responsible for consumer complaints.


12. Will MVNO pricing be same as host MNO?
MVNOs design and place in the market their own retail offer, which may freely differ from that of the operator on whose network they are supported, and define their own business strategies.


13. What should I do when I am not satisfied with the services of my MVNO provider?
You should first contact the MVNO whose services or products you are not happy or satisfied with and file your complaint. .
In a situation where the issue is not satisfactorily resolved by the service provider, you may call the Consumer & Corporate Affairs Division of the NCA to lodge your complaint.


14. Do I have to pay for complaint services?
NO! All services rendered by the MVNOs and Complaints Unit of the NCA are FREE OF CHARGE.


15. Can an aggrieved consumer sue the MVNO in a law court over a breach of contract?
Yes, However, in line with the provision of the Electronic Communications Act 2008 Act 775 84 (1), a dissatisfied consumer should first seek redress with the Service Provider and if unresolved report to the NCA. A court action may be considered a last option.


16. Any advice?
The NCA advices all consumers;

1. Not rely solely on service providers’ information and choice.
2. Read carefully terms and conditions on contracts, promos and adverts and understanding them before opting in.
3. Be abreast with service and product information
4. Compare price, quality standard and features make informed decisions before making or entering into a contract,
5. Provide proof of purchases or receipts and documents invariably obtained and kept safely.


17.Any legal backing?
The NATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY (NCA) is empowered under Section 3(c) of the NCA Act, Act 769 of 2008 (''The Act") to issue Licences for the operation and provision of communication services and to determine the eligibility criteria of applicants for the said licences.

In furtherance of the National Telecommunications Policy 2005 (NTP’05), the Electronic Communications Act, 2008, Act 775, and the National Electronic Communications Regulations, 2011, L.I.1991, the National Communications Authority (NCA) intends to issue licences to Ghanaian companies to establish and own a Mobile Virtual Network